Perhaps look at it another way...
only half a dozen or so people think it was bad enough to write a review. Now let's assume that 6 people per week stay there, or 300 over the year -so 2%. Does that mean that the other 98% were ok with it? Did that 2% have particular gripes that they addressed to the hotel owners?
Be wary of tripadvisor as it is not validated that what is written in a review bears any relation to what may or may not have actually happened and hoteliers get no right to reply/give their side to negative/slagging off comments
Not saying that the comments are wrong, just treat them with a little pinch of salt
As Abraham Lincoln said "you can't believe everything you read on the internet"