I drive an 08 R1 and the 3rd gear keeps sticking, I have to hit it twice to change up, changing down is fine. I'm new to sports bikes, is this common, how do I fix it?
Posts 13 | Views 306
to ride one instead of drive would that help??" />
No it shouldn't ,does it happen every time you change up to 3rd.
If you can't be nice say nowt
try the obvious first
I'd just start with the obvious things first before ripping the gear box apart.
1. Correct oil, good condition if your not 100% sure change the oil have a look to see if you can determine any metal filings or bits in the drained oil or on the end of the drain plug.
2. Change oil filter while your at it and check the old one for any signs of metal filing bits etc
3 Set up the gear leaver etc so they are perfect for your boot. Is the leaver bent or dead straight? Does it need replacing? Signs of the bike being dropped? Is the foot peg the right height?
4. when up and running try different techniques for changing gear ie max revs/min revs/fast/slow/blip throttle/double declutch etc
5. Check the whole drive ie chain, crush drive, clutch and gears. Replace as necessary.
6. Then when you have attacked every possible option the fucking thing will not go into gear start on the gearbox.
Have fun, ride safe
'WHO CARES WE NEVER WIN...........'
you got more sensible replies than I gave
It wouldn't be you if you gave a sensible reply.
why thank you CJ
I like to brighten peoples days even tho I'm about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
See the motorbike link i slipped in
Very useful info
I adjusted the clutch cable after remembering i messed with it and things improved a little, but still sticks. I just got an oil filter and will change the oil this weekend to see if its resolved. Its only done just over 3000 miles so I hope this is it.
my gear change
gets uppity if the chain goes too loose. I'd check this and see if it helps
**Was the oil **
by the looks of it. I changed the oil and filter. The Tw*t that sold me the bike said he changed it was lying unless he uses road tar for oil!! I took the bike out this morning and it changes perfectly now, no sticking at all. Thaks for all the suggestions and I now know how to change oil filter and oil as well
..another 'start with the obvious' suggestion..
I had the same a few years ago on the gixxer.. Mate of mine pointed out I hadn't lubed the point on the footrest where the gear lever swivels..... D'oh!! I coated it in WD40 and it was sweet as a nut!
Maybe too obvious but worth a try if you've neglected to do so!